Thursday, April 16, 2009

Paper or plastic?


Okay, I know that we are bombarded with "Save the Earth" ideas everyday. It seems like a big task for us average folk. I can't afford to buy all organic, I don't have time to hand wash all of our laundry, and I'm sure I'm not physically fit enough to ride a bike with my kids in tow all over town. I needed to start with something small, practical, affordable, and something I'd actually continue to do. So, I decided to start with the plastic grocery bags.

I bought one or two bags a during a couple of trips to the store. I now have four bags. I was sure I would need at least eight bags because I usually fill 10-14 bags each week. Well, I went shopping today and look at all the food that fit in my four bags! It only took 2 trips to unload kids and groceries instead of four or five. I just keep the bags by the back door or in the car so I have them when I go shopping.

The take home message is, for $4 dollars I am now a little more earth friendly. And when I'm asked "Paper or plastic?", I say neither!

No comments: